(1) The House of Representatives shall consist of two hundred and seventy five members as follows:-
(a) One hundred and sixty five members elected through the first-past-the-post electoral system consisting of one member from each of the one hundred and sixty five electoral constituencies formed by dividing Nepal into 165 constituencies based on geography, and population.
(b) One hundred and ten members elected from proportional representation electoral system where voters vote for parties, while treating the whole country as a single electoral constituency. (2) Provision shall be made according to Federal law for the representation of political parties to file candidacy for the election of the House of Representatives for proportional representation system through closed list of women, Dalit, Adibasi Janajati, Khas Arya, Madhesi, Tharu, Muslim, and backward regions. Balance in geography and province shall be considered for such candidacy.
Explanation: For the purpose of this provision, Khas Arya means Chhetri, Brahmin, Thakuri and Sannyasi (Dasnami) community.
(3) While filing candidacy by political parties pursuant to clause (2), provision of representation of persons with disability shall also be made.
(4) The election for the members of House of Representatives pursuant to clause (1) shall be held through secret ballots as provided in the law.
(6) Subject to law, any Nepali citizen, who is entitled to vote in election for House of Representatives, and who meets the requirements under Article 87, shall be allowed to file candidacy from any constituency.
(7) In case of vacancy of a seat of a member in House of Representatives, while still ahead of six months of its terms, such vacancy shall be filled through process by which said member had been elected.
(8) Notwithstanding anything contained elsewhere in this Article, women should account for at least one third of total members elected from each party in Federal Parliament. In case, one-third percentage of women are not elected while being elected under section (a) of clause (1), and section (a), clause (2) of Article 84, the party that fails to ensure one-third representation shall have to elect at least one-third of total numbers as woman in the Federal Parliament while electing members under section (b) of clause (1).
(9) Election of House of Representatives and other matters thereto shall be pursuant to Federal laws. (Art. 84)