(1) Everyone can lodge complaint with the Volksanwaltschaft [Office of the People’s Attorney] against alleged maladministration by the Federation, including its activity as a holder of private rights, in particular for alleged contravention of human rights, provided that they are affected by such maladministration and in so far as they do not or no longer have recourse to legal remedy. All such complaints must be investigated by the
Volksanwaltschaft. The complainant shall be informed of the investigation’s outcome and what action, if necessary, has been taken.
(2) The Volksanwaltschaft is ex officio entitled to investigate its suspicions of maladministration by the Federation including its activity as a holder of private rights, in particular its suspicion of contraventions of human rights.
(3) For the protection and promotion of human rights it is incumbent on the Volksanwaltschaft and the commissions it appoints (Art. 148h para 3), within the sphere of administration of the Federation, including its activity as a holder of
1. to visit and examine the place of an incarceration [Freiheitsentziehung/deprivation of liberty],
2. to observe and also examine the conduct of authorities empowered to exercise direct administrative power and compulsion, and
3. to examine [or] visit facilities and programs for the disabled. … (Art. 148a)