The following persons are Ecuadorians by naturalization:
1. Those who obtain the naturalization card.
2. Under-age foreigners adopted by a female or male Ecuadorian, who shall keep their Ecuadorian nationality as long as they do not express their wish to the contrary.
3. Those born abroad of a mother or father who is Ecuadorian by naturalization, while they are minors, shall keep their Ecuadorian nationality, as long as they do not express their wish to the contrary.
4. Those who marry, or have a common-law marriage with, an Ecuadorian female or male, in accordance with the law.
5. Those who obtain Ecuadorian nationality for having provided important services to the country on the basis of their talent or individual effort.
Those who acquire the Ecuadorian nationality shall not be obligated to forfeit their nationality of origin.
Ecuadorian nationality acquired by naturalization shall be forfeited by express renunciation. (Art. 8)